Assists in supervising the preparation and cooking of various food items, developing daily menu items and their preparation and garnishment. Assists with employee training, department scheduling, discipline, and hiring. Assists in monitoring payroll costs and overtime. Works with the Executive Chef to develop new menus and recipes.
* Responsible for hiring, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising job contributions; recommending compensation actions; adhering to policies and procedures.
* Contributes information to strategic plans and reviews; implements production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolves problems; identifies system improvements.
* Provides annual budget information; monitors expenditures; identifies variances; implements corrective actions; controls food costs.
* Implements recipes and portion specifications by reviewing menus and product specifications with Executive Chef; evaluating ease of menu production; implementing established procedures and techniques.
* Controls food preparation by consulting with kitchen team leaders; overseeing portion size; evaluating and improving productivity; providing food preparation personal expertise; monitoring presentations.
* Improves menu quality and consistency by analyzing food production records and menu expenses; standardizing production recipes; promoting kitchen staff interest in quality improvement; studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes.
* Prepares kitchen operations and production reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing food ingredient, food production, and customer data and trends.
* Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with sanitation and federal, state, and local legal regulations; overseeing food preparation, safety, and security; reviewing and implementing accident and disaster plans.
* Maintains food ingredients, food preparation, and general supplies by purchasing menu ingredients; evaluating the quality of fresh food and food product deliveries; maintaining general supplies; conducting daily, weekly, and monthly inventories; establishing inventory levels, re-order points, storage requirements, and cost-controls.
* Maintains culinary equipment by following operating instructions; instructing staff in equipment use; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining equipment supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs; evaluating new equipment; making recommendations of equipment purchases.
* Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
* Responsible for the supervision and evaluation of department staff, including completion and timely submission of annual employee evaluations.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* High School Diploma or equivalent required.
* Culinary school graduate preferred or equivalent experience.
* Seasoned professional, prior experience as chef or sous chef in a high volume, mid priced restaurant, at least $ 2 millions dollars sales volume.
* Good team leader; good trainer and employee orientated.
* High emphasis on cleanliness and sanitary work conditions.
* Well organized, plans well, and has a good understanding of food/payroll costs.
* Co-operative, flexible and creative.
* Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; ability to logically and independently plan, organize and complete work; initiative; well-developed interpersonal skills; ability to set and achieve high standards of performance; ability to make progress on multiple assignments under time constraints; and ability to travel to various locations on business.
Accountable to: Executive Chef
Accountable for: Lead Line Cooks
Lead Pantry Cooks
The above description denotes some of the specific characteristics which are necessary to perform the principal functions of the job and are not intended to be a description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Dover Downs, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.